Hours and Prices Nav Button
Location and Directions Nav Button
Become a Member Nav Button
Aircraft Flights Nav Button
School Trips Nav Button
Catered Events Nav Button



Make a Donation Button

Join our MailingList Button

  Home » Vintage Aircraft Collection » de Havilland Canada Chipmunk »

de Havilland Canada DHC-1B-2-S5 Chipmunk


Click on one of the thumbnails above to access the 5 photos of this aircraft.


De Havilland Aircraft of Canada started design of a primary trainer to replace the legendary Tiger Moth in October 1945 and the prototype flew seven months later in May 1946, from Downsview, (Toronto), Ontario. The fuselage was of all metal, stressed skin construction as were the fin and tail plane. The single spar wing had a stressed skin leading edge, while the rear portion of the wing was fabric covered. The wing was stressed for 9g, a factor which contributed to its popularity as an aerobatic aircraft.

The Canadian Army accepted its first DHC-1 Chipmunks in 1948. They were used for elementary pilot training at the Canadian Joint Air Training Centre, Rivers, Manitoba, as well as for training pilots in ranging and directing artillery fire. The RCAF ordered its first Chipmunks in 1952, only after a number of design modifications were completed. The most obvious one was the replacement of the built up cockpit canopy with an interchangeable bubble type. The last of the 217 Canadian built Chipmunks was delivered to the RCAF in the fall of 1956. The aircraft continued to operate with the Canadian military until the end of 1971 and with the RAF until the end of the 1970s. Its long service was due in part to it being fully aerobatic with flying characteristics similar to the Spitfire, which made it a delight to fly. Because of the design’s rugged airframe and reliable engine, many Chipmunks are still being flown today.

A total of 1,291 de Havilland Chipmunks were produced between 1946 and 1958; 217 in Canada; 1,014 in the UK, and 60 under license in Portugal.

The Museum's Chipmunk was built at Downsview in 1956. The aircraft served with Canadian Forces Training Command until 1971, when it was purchased by John Weir, one of the Museum’s founders. John had been a fighter pilot and a prisoner of war in Stalag Luft III, the camp made famous by the “great escape” of 76 Allied aircrew in 1944. He donated the aircraft to the Museum 1973.

STATUS: On display
AIRWORTHINESS: Airworthy (flown regularly)
TYPE: Trainer
BUILT: 1956
SERIAL NUMBER: RCAF 18035
CONSTRUCTION NUMBER: 173-211
CIVIL REGISTRATION: C-FPOW
CURRENT MARKINGS: RCAF 18035

LENGTH: 29 ft 5 in
WINGSPAN: 34 ft 4 in
POWER: 145 hp
ENGINE: 1 x de Havilland Gipsy Major 10
MAXIMUM SPEED: 140 mph
CRUISING SPEED: 124 mph
SERVICE CEILING: 17,200 ft
RANGE: 485 miles

Previous Aircraft Button    Next Aircraft Button

Purchase a flight on the de Havilland Canada Chipmunk button


  VISIT US
EVENTS
AIRCRAFT
KID ZONE
GIFT SHOP
ABOUT US
CONTACT US

E: museum@warplane.com
P: 905-679-4183
F: 905-679-4186

Toll Free:
1-877-FIREFLY
1-877-347-3359

9280 Airport Road
Mount Hope, ON  L0R 1W0
Canada
  ©Copyright 2014 Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
All photos are licensed by their respective owners.
Canadian Warplane Heritage is a registered Canadian charity (No. 10686 8599 RR0001)
Visa logo MasterCard logo

i2b Global Logo
Hamilton Website Development
by www.i2bGlobal.com