The RCAF received their first CF-104 in March 1962. Although originally designed as a supersonic interceptor the Canadian Air Force used it primarily for low level strike and reconnaissance. Over the 25 years of active service 110 aircraft were lost to accidents earning it nicknames like “Widow Maker” and “Lawn Dart”. The RCAF CF-104 probably had the most flying time of any variant with an average of 6,000 hours per plane over their life time compared to the Luftwaffe’s 3,000 hours.
Constructed for the RCAF in 1962 as c/n 683A-1101 and given the serial number 12801. The aircraft was assigned to the No. 3 Wing at CFB Zweibrucken, Germany. In 1970 the aircraft was retired and stored until 1973 when it was sold to Norway. In 1980 the aircraft was renumbered as 104801 “801” and in 1982 was retired and was flown to Oslo to begin its preservation at the Central Defence Museum, on display RNoAF Museum (Forsvarsmuseet) at Gardermoen with 334 Skv marks. In 2006 moved to "Norwegian Aviation Museum" (Norsk Luftfartsmuseum) at Bodø.