The 57th Wing located at Nellis AFB is home to 19 squadrons each with a different assignment. One of these squadrons is the 66th Weapons School that was originally activated in January 1941 as the 66th Pursuit Squadron (Interceptor). A few re-designations and de-activations the squadron was re-activated in 2003 as 66th Weapons School. Their job was to teach graduate-level instructors in all aspects of the A-10 so after graduation they could return to active units to provide other personnel with advanced instruction.
The A-10 Thunderbolt II was first flown on May 10, 1972. It is a single-seat attack aircraft used to protect ground forces from tanks, armored vehicles and other ground targets. Nicknamed "Warthog," the A-10 is highly maneuverable at low speeds and low altitude and is capable of short take-offs and landings. Designed for easy maintenance-many of its parts are interchangeable between the right and left side and it can operate from bases with limited facilities.