Hours and Prices Nav Button
Location and Directions Nav Button
Become a Member Nav Button
Aircraft Flights Nav Button
School Trips Nav Button
Catered Events Nav Button



Make a Donation Button

Join our MailingList Button

  Home » Vintage Aircraft Collection » Cessna Crane »

Cessna Crane Mk. I


Click on one of the thumbnails above to access the 9 photos of this aircraft.


In 1939, the Cessna Aircraft Company of Wichita, Kansas, introduced a light twin-engined transport aircraft to the civilian market - the T-50. In 1940, the RCAF was looking for another source of supply for twin-engined trainers to supplement its Avro Ansons arriving from England. The Cessna T-50 fulfilled the RCAF’s need and a substantial order was placed for them. This was the first large order Clyde Cessna’s company ever received and provided the growth to become the successful general aviation manufacturer we know today.

The Cessna Crane, as the RCAF named it, started to equip BCATP airfields in January 1941 and supply continued to mid-1943. Cessna Cranes were used primarily to teach pilots to fly multi-engined aircraft at five Service Flying Training Schools (SFTS) in Western Canada. Besides pilot training, they were also employed in navigation training, communication and light transport roles. The Crane continued in RCAF service until 1947, when many were sold off for civilian use as light transport aircraft.

In the USAAF, the aircraft was called the AT-17, UC-78 or Bobcat and was used for pilot/navigator training and light transport duties during World War II.

A total of 5,426 Cessna T-50s were produced; 4600 for the USAAF and 826 for the RCAF.

The Museum's Cessna Crane was delivered to the RCAF in August 1941. It flew with No. 4(SFTS), Saskatoon and No. 11(SFTS) Yorkton, Saskatchewan. In November 1945, it was sold to Canadian Aviation Industries of St. Jean, Quebec. By 1949, it was owned by Matane Air Service, who flew it commercially in the isolated St. Lawrence North Shore area of Quebec. In 1964, the Crane was purchased by Doug Wardle of Rockcliffe, Ontario, who flew it privately for another twelve years. Mr.Wardle donated the aircraft to the Museum in 1976 and an extensive restoration program then commenced. The Crane flew again after a ten year rebuild in November 1986, displaying the colours and markings of its first assignment - No. 4(SFTS), Saskatoon.

STATUS: On display
AIRWORTHINESS: Static display
TYPE: Trainer
BUILT: 1941
SERIAL NUMBER: RCAF 7862
CONSTRUCTION NUMBER: 1355
CIVIL REGISTRATION: C-FFGF
CURRENT MARKINGS: RCAF 7862

LENGTH: 32 ft 9 in
WINGSPAN: 41 ft 11 in
POWER: 225 hp each
ENGINE: 2 x Jacobs L-4MB
MAXIMUM SPEED: 185 mph
CRUISING SPEED: 165 mph
SERVICE CEILING: 18,000 ft
RANGE: 750 miles

Previous Aircraft Button    Next Aircraft Button




  VISIT US
EVENTS
AIRCRAFT
KID ZONE
GIFT SHOP
ABOUT US
CONTACT US

E: museum@warplane.com
P: 905-679-4183
F: 905-679-4186

Toll Free:
1-877-FIREFLY
1-877-347-3359

9280 Airport Road
Mount Hope, ON  L0R 1W0
Canada
  ©Copyright 2014 Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum
All photos are licensed by their respective owners.
Canadian Warplane Heritage is a registered Canadian charity (No. 10686 8599 RR0001)
Visa logo MasterCard logo

i2b Global Logo
Hamilton Website Development
by www.i2bGlobal.com