3 Squadron RAAF began converting from the P-40 to the P-51 Mk.III on November 13, 1944 while
in Italy, the first RAAF squadron to use Mustangs. The first P-51K/Mustang IVa KH677 CV-P
arrived on November 26, 1944 and assigned to S/Ldr Murray Nash who flew it on December 2,
1944 against a rail yard in Yugoslavia. On December 12, 1944 KH716 arrived becoming S/Ldr
Murray Nash’s new aircraft it now wearing CV-P. Nash left for a Fighter Leader course in March
1945 and KH-716 was lost the following month.